How to care for your new baby
New to parenthood? We've created a list of essential solutions to see you through baby's first weeks.
bundle of joy didn't come with an instruction manual, but we have you
covered. Learn the basics of baby care with our simple baby care guide.
Stock a diaper-changing station
Never leave babies unattended on a changing table or bed. Make sure
everything you need is within arm's reach. Diaper-changing essentials
- Gentle baby wipes
- Cotton balls and dressing for umbilical cord or circumcision care
- Diaper crème and baby lotion
- A change of baby clothing
Prepare for feeding time
Newborns eat every two to three hours on average. To avoid having to move from room to room, keep your feeding essentials in a portable basket or tote. You'll need:
- Bottled water to stay hydrated
- Burp cloths
- A nursing pillow
- Infant gas relief drops
Bathe baby safely
Until your newborn's umbilical cord falls off, don't worry about
baths. A quick wipe with a damp, warm washcloth will do. Then follow
these safe bathing tips:
- Bathe your baby in a baby bathtub or a clean sink.
- Check baby's bath temperature with your elbow; hands are not as sensitive to heat. The water should be warm, not hot.
- Never leave your baby unattended.
- Use a gentle baby hair care and wash.
- Place a dry towel within arm's reach.
Organize a baby-care kit
Make a baby-care kit and keep it close. Include these basics:
- Infant thermometer
- Infant pain reliever
- First-aid ointment and rubbing alcohol
- Baby first-aid kit
- Safety clippers to cut baby's nails
- Petroleum jelly
Ready, set, sleep
Prepare your bassinet or crib with clean sheets that fit well. Avoid
keeping stuffed animals or loose blankets around your sleeping baby. Try
these baby sleep solutions:
- Use a baby monitor with white-noise to eliminate unwelcome noise.
- Burp baby after feedings. It'll minimize gas and fussiness at bedtime.
- For chilly nights, try a tight swaddle blanket or wearable blanket.
- Place baby in a swing or bouncer. You'll be able to easily watch your baby while he takes short daytime naps.
- Follow your pediatrician's safe sleep recommendations.
Take a deep breath
Relax and enjoy your first days with your baby with these final tips:
- Rest when the baby is resting.
- Drink plenty of water and snack frequently.
- Get outside at least once a day.
- Mark milestones on a calendar.
- Plan easy meals and freeze leftovers.
Used with permission. © 2016 Walmart. All Rights Reserved. See full legal.
Used with permission. © 2014 Walmart. All Rights Reserved. See full legal.
Important Walmart Disclaimer: All content provided is for informational purposes only. Neither the author nor Walmart.com assumes any responsibility for errors, omissions or contrary interpretation of the subject matter. Walmart does not sponsor, recommend or endorse any third party, product, service or information provided on this site.